An armoire is defined as a type of wardrobe. O.k., so the definition isn't extremely helpful. We'll add a little more detail.
Both armoires and wardrobes have doors and contain a rod for hanging clothing. They are often fitted with shelves or drawers; some with labels such as pajamas, shirts, and hats. Wardrobes tend to have simple straight design lines while armoires are larger and more ornate.
Both armoires and wardrobes can add instant closet space. We've seen them used for closets, linen storage, & entertainment centers. Some folks replace mirrored door panels with glass, add shelves and lighting--the result is a beautiful and unique china cabinet like the example shown above.
Incidentally, add some drawers beneath the wardrobe and you have a chifforobe!
We mentioned instant closet space, but a wardrobe or armoire can be used for much more. Some potential uses include:
1. Television Storage- With a small hole in the back for wires and maybe a few shelves, a TV can be concealed behind beautiful doors.
2. Entertainment Center - armoires make beautiful entainment centers and alot of equipment can be hidden inside.
3. Craft Cabinet- Use clear stacking storage boxes for each different type of craft. Some have hooks that can be used for hanging items. Add extra hooks or even cork board for extra hanging capability.
4. Incidental Storage- How about a perfect place for all those purses and wardrobe accessories that won't fit in the closet. Stop having to hunt down what happened to the scarf that has been seen in a while, perfect for hooks that are sometimes original equipment in wardrobes and armoires.
5. Store Linens - a linen closet for the bathroom.
6. School Cabinet- stash books, backpacks, even band equipment inside.
7. Gaming Space- utilize plastic stacking drawers for small pieces and existing shelves for others. The plastic stacking drawers can be added without altering the wardrobe or armoire.
8. Instant Pantry- Store extra food or paper supplies, especially those bulk purchases!
9. You fill in the blank, the possibilities are endless.